Where I have been...

Monday, May 7, 2007

Kalbarri

Hi Everyone, I have been spending the last two weeks in a little place (although it is bigger than most of the other places I have been in the last month!!) on the west coast of Australia, called Kalbarri. Here I have been working on a horse ranch called the Big River Ranch. I have been having a great time riding everyday and helping with the horses, and then having a swim in the afternoons - it has been a tough life. Luckily there haven't been too many nasty creatures around - just tons of mosquitos. Although the girl I am working with, Cornelia from Sweden started screaming at me yesterday - 'Sara, Sara - there is a snake over here - ahhhhhh'. So I walk over - not overly keen on coming face to face with this snake. I figured that with all the noise she is making that it must be at least 10 foot long!! I get there to find that it is about 7 inches long and only a baby. Anyway, as Cornelia is terrified, I go off and find a shovel and then start jabbing at it, hoping to somehow kill it. Eventually my efforts pay off and I kill the thing. It was pretty cool though - yellow and black stripes - apparently pretty deadly when fully grown!! I have to say that I feel I am becoming pretty hardcore with all this 'animal control' I am practicing!! Although, I don't think I'm ready yet if I come face to face with a fully grown snake!! I also went up in a plane today to see some of the coastline and gorges in the area which was pretty cool. Although the plane was very small and you could feel every bump - nice!
I would also at this point like to thank my family for the early morning calls I have had the last two mornings. I really appreciated being woken up so early by lots of noise and screaming - thanks!! I will get my own back!! But it was good to hear from you, despite my lack of sleep - hope you enjoyed the bank holiday weekend!!
Anyway, there isn't much else to report as all I have been doing is looking after horses. Tomorrow I head furthur up the coast to hopefully see dolphins and sharks - yeah!!

No comments: