Where I have been...

Monday, May 14, 2007

Monkey Mia

Well after Kalbarri, I hopped back onto the Easyrider bus (my transport to Broome) and made my way to Monkey Mia, after spending a night in Denham. There is only one reason to go to Monkey Mia - and for those of you who don't know - it's for the Dolphins!! They come right up to shore to be fed three times a day by the waiting public. I was spending the night there, so I was around for at least 5 feeds. We got off the bus and were happily walking towards the beach when we say that the dolphins were already there, so we legged it over and began snapping. You stand ankle deep in the water and the dolphins are so close - I finally have photos of dolphins - yeah!!! There were also 3 babies, who were adorable and came really close. Once the feeding was over we decided to have a quick walk around the resort to see what it was like, but within 15 minutes the dolphins were back for another feed - they were obviously hungry!! So we rushed back over and this time I got to feed a dolphin called Shock a piece of fish. It was soooo cool. The dolphins proceeded to come back another 3 times that day. The next day they came in again for their feeding and this time I fed a dolphin called Puk.
After all the feeding, I was just wandering around, when I bumped into Cornelia and Ross (they were staying at the Big River Ranch in Kalbarri). Ross (who is a pilot and the one who had flown me around the islands a couple days before) had flown some other customers up to Monkey Mia and Cornelia came as well. So I spent a couple of hours with them before I had to jump back on the bus and head up the coast to Coral Bay.

No comments: