Where I have been...

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Sydney to Krambach

Well I arrived in Sydney safe and sound. It was weird being back, although kind of like coming home, as to be honest, this is the first time in 17months that I have gone back to somewhere I have spent a considerable amount of time in. Anyway, as always, I was greeted in the same way I always am when I come back to Sydney...... with rain!! And lots of it! As some of you might know, Australia is going through one of the worst droughts in history, and it just so chooses to start recovering the day I get back to the East Coast! Don't get me wrong, I am really happy it is raining here as I know they need it, but can't it rain somewhere else in Australia (anywhere but where I am!!) I come from a country that rains, I know what it looks like, I don't need to see it anymore!!
I only had one day in Sydney before I headed north up the coast. In that day I rushed around the city trying to sort everything out and looking more and more like a drowned rat in the process. I might add that I don't own an umbrella, rain jacket or in fact any jacket (far too bulky to pack!). But I did manage to sort out my next round the world trip which is very exciting. When I have time I will let you all know where I will be traveling to for the next year or so. I so can't wait :-)
I then caught a bus up to Nabiac which is a small town (or village by UK standards) 4 hours north of Sydney, where I will once again be spending time on a cattle farm. I was picked up by Keith and driven to his farm (some 2000 acres) in Krambach. Surprisingly enough it was still raining, so for the first few days we didn't do much as we couldn't get out as there was so much water. Although on my first night I was taken to another little village called Wingham by Ross (who works on the farm) along with David (another British person helping on the farm who is very strange indeed!) to do some dancing. I'm sure all of you have heard and seen on TV these people who get together and go to the local town hall one evening a week and do some dancing and that most of these people tend to be retired. Well guess what - that is exactly where I went!! I have to say it was a very interesting night and I did get to try out lots of dancing although my waltz was a little to be desired!! Other than that I have just been driving a tractor and building a cattle yard. Yes, I am now an excellent tractor driver, I can move the fork lift and everything!! I have also built wooden fences (which hopefully the bulls won't break out of now!!) I have to say that the finished result does look petty impressive!!

I am now heading back to Sydney where I will spend my final 3 weeks saying goodbye to everyone and hopefully doing everything that I haven't managed to do yet - we shall see. I know some of you will be glad to hear that it is snowing in parts of Australia at the moment. The weather is absolutely terrible, although in the space of 2 weeks, Sydney went from a desperate state of terrible drought to better than it has been in 40 years or so!! I just hope the sun comes out for my last couple of weeks - keep your fingers crossed!!

No comments: